Monday, September 2, 2013

Kicking off the school year...


This newly released ad campaign from Apple has been getting quite a bit of attention, and press, and it's not good.

The Slate headline was "Designed by Doofuses in California," and the article gives a blow-by-blow analysis of why the ad isn't pulling well. Meanwhile, the LA Times provides empirical support for Slate's claim in "Apple's 'Designed in California' TV ad flops with consumers."

If you don't know what I'm talking about (I understand, the beginning of the school year is really exciting!), you can check out the ad here:



The campaign contains print elements as well:


Which have, naturally, inspired parodies:


 As Seth Stevenson, the Slate writer, says of the ad copy, "It panders to your self-conception." 

Along similar lines, my 16 year-old daughter, a high school junior, says, "It sounds like something a 16 year old would think is deep. I bet I have Facebook friends who have posted parts of this as their statuses."

Earn participation points, and my admiration, by weighing in on what you think about this campaign in the comments.

1 comment:

Tyler Reichhoff said...

So I'm not sure if I'm just not smart enough to get what Apple was/is trying to do with this ad, but my take away is that Apple has a pretty hi opinion of themselves;the ad just seemed smug to me. Also, you wouldn't even know it was an Apple commercial until the very end, and even then, some people may not know figure it out. I don't think an ad is overly effective if you have to decipher who it is for.